Better Job Performance through Happiness

The secret to job successes is based merely 25% on IQ. The remaining 75% is optimism, social support, and seeing stress as a challenge. Shawn Achor reports that compensation has minimal real impact upon job performance. What does matter is happiness.

Your brain at positive performs significantly better than it does at negative, neutral or stressed. Your intelligence rises, your creativity rises, your energy levels rise. In fact, what Shawn found was that every single business outcome improves. Your brain at positive is 31% more productive than your brain at negative, neutral or stressed. You’re 37% better at sales. Doctors are 19% faster, more accurate at coming up with the correct diagnosis when positive instead of negative, neutral or stressed.Which means we can reverse the formula. If we can find a way of becoming positive in the present, then our brains work even more successfully as we’re able to work harder, faster and more intelligently.

NYTimes reports that Google is giving its employees a self-reflection class called “Search Inside Yourself.” In an age where employers are demanding more and more hours of the day, perks such as free food and foosball tables just don’t cut it anymore. Larry Page recently promised on the company website to maintain “a healthy disregard for the impossible.”

Anchor recommends recording three things you are greatful for, journal positive daily occurrences,  meditate to get over cultural ADHD, and personally thank someone. Doing each one of these activities hardwires your brain to look for the positive throughout your day and appreciate what is around you.

Happy working!